: Hula on TV, Merrie Monarch 2010 :

4.15.2010

The Merrie Monarch hula festival takes place every year on the Big Island of Hawaii. I've never been to the hula festival in person but have watched it on TV since I was a teen. I hear that tickets sell out real quick and that all of the hotels in Hilo get booked so it's really difficult to find a place to stay during the Merrie Monarch. For now, I'll just watch it from home on TV, besides I get to see great camera coverage from different angles as opposed to sitting in the stands far away from the stage. I can't complain, TV is great for attending events that you cannot manage to attend :)

And since I couldn't be there in person with my camera...haha, I did manage to snap some photos from my TV screen of a few of the lovely Miss Aloha Hula contestants with their gorgeous leis and hair pieces. I had to do it because I knew there wouldn't be a lot of photos online to show you how beautiful the dancers looked. So please pardon the screen shots and their pixelated and low res quality. Maybe one day you will see the festival in person, perhaps before I do. 













I so love their floral decor! Growing up in Hawaii I've been around this stuff ever since I was a little girl and only now since I'm getting older do I appreciate all of it now. Unfortunately, I wasn't into lei making or floral arranging when I was young, even though I had the most talented aunt who was so gifted at it. She was my version of a Hawaiian Martha Stewart, I am not kidding, she could do everything from interior design, cooking, gardening..name it! My aunt sewed my costumes for May Day even for school formals because she was an excellent seamstress, made me gorgeous leis that I always got complimented on when I wore one of her creations and she was a florist with her own floral shop. My I wish I could've learned while I could!



0 comments :

Post a Comment

So happy you paid me a visit. Mahalo!
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

Follow here

say what, a Disclaimer

Hi there! Photography and art featured on this blog, unless where noted, came from my camera and were made or styled by my hands. You may not use my photos for profit or on commercial websites, but we might be able to work something out with a dozen chocolate macarons, and a juicy deal. Do not remove my watermarks or copyright markings from my photos (please see previous sentence). I won't bite, well unless you infringe on my copyright. But really, send me an email, I'm pretty nice. The snail mail on my blog includes my mail or the work from other artists and pen friends. I do my best to give everyone credit. But, in the case where I have missed the proper credit please contact me to address it. If you would like to re-blog or pin any of my original works please be the awesome person that you are and give me a shout out a.k.a. proper credit, and link it back here. Speaking of links, I do on occasion link out to other sites, however I am not responsible for the content you find on those sites. Sometimes clicking on a link I’ve provided may be a link to a site that will give me a small commission if you buy something from them. Which means that I might get paid (hopefully not in gum) if you click on that link, whoo-hoo. Reason why I’m telling you is because I want to be honest with you and frankly, because it’s illegal not to. That said, I promise to use any affiliate commissions earned for good cause: like stationery hauls and lattes. Thank you kindly, Merissa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

MERISSA CHERIE All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger