:my mahalo:

2.27.2010

Sending a BIG MAHALO to such caring hearts who sent me some aloha during our tsunami scare in Hawaii: Wini of Art Love Joy, Melanie of Modern Organic Fabrics, Brigitte of Covet Chicago, Frau of Frau Heuberg, Emily of Sassy Smolak, Sarah of Art Shades, and my buddy Brett who is from Hawaii but on vacay in Portland, Oregon. Thanks so much guys!
We woke up to sirens early in the morning before the sun rose. We were expecting them as we were up late last night watching the news on the terrible earthquake in Chile. My eyes got teary as coverage aired the devastation that the earthquake caused. My heart goes out to them.  
Our civil defense here on Oahu reported that a tsunami was on it's way to the Hawaiian islands and they were monitoring the ocean overnight and into day, they would sound the sirens at 6 am in the morning to warn everyone and make sure everyone prepared. The police shut roads, the freeway, and cleared everyone out of the water and along beaches. I've never seen the roads, freeway, beaches (especially Waikiki) so empty of people. Boats started heading out to ocean, large boats, military vessels from Pearl Harbor, cargo ships, small boats too. It was like a scene out of a movie, you know when all the ships line out to prepare for battle? Our eyes were glued to the TV screen as we watched footage of the ocean recede before our eyes, exposing sand, reef, and the ocean floor that was once covered by ocean water. It was truly amazing to see the waters pull back, the force of nature is jaw dropping powerful! Then the water would come gushing back in, almost overflowing, this happened over and over. We flipped through all the local and mainland news coverages to find as much coverage as we could. We were holding our breath expecting a giant surge any moment...but...it never happened! Thank God that it never did! We are in the CLEAR! Whew! What a day!

7 comments :

  1. Wow, what a day it must have been, amazing to see nature in full force but scary too. Glad everything is ok your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lana, it was an experience I never had before. And we're glad it's over. Though it'll still be on my mind as I work very close to the beach. We have a great civil defense and authority that keep us informed and safe.
    Mahalo for your concern :) Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Merissa, what a relief that Hawaii was spared and that you and your family are safe! It must have been an incredible yet fearsome sight to watch the ocean recede like that. There was a warning for the east coast of Australia as well, but lucky nothing happened. Thank you so much for the mention. It is really sweet of you. Take care!! Wini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Merissa,

    I have the cookbook with this artwork. My mom bought it for me when I was a little girl. I should dig it up. It had the cutest recipe's

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be fab if you still had the book! Barbara Bradley is the artist, her work is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. saw your lovely guest post over on ishtarolivera and wanted to say I loved it. I spent 5yrs racing outrigger canoes on the east coast back in the US (we were only 'flatwater' though!), and there were so many native Hawaiians on my team. I'm happy to hear this corner of the US has been spared in light of all the recent global tragedies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juliette it is amazing that outrigger canoeing has gone so far as the east coast! During my teen years I was pretty active in the sport, I also did single man canoe, our hui had fun with a double-hulled canoe, and had the privilege of paddling our prize koa wood canoe on special occasions. This brings back so many fond memories!
    Thanks so much for spotting my post on Ishtar's blog! We are so lucky to have the tsunami pass Hawaii. Mahalo for your concern!

    ReplyDelete

So happy you paid me a visit. Mahalo!
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

Follow here

say what, a Disclaimer

Hi there! Photography and art featured on this blog, unless where noted, came from my camera and were made or styled by my hands. You may not use my photos for profit or on commercial websites, but we might be able to work something out with a dozen chocolate macarons, and a juicy deal. Do not remove my watermarks or copyright markings from my photos (please see previous sentence). I won't bite, well unless you infringe on my copyright. But really, send me an email, I'm pretty nice. The snail mail on my blog includes my mail or the work from other artists and pen friends. I do my best to give everyone credit. But, in the case where I have missed the proper credit please contact me to address it. If you would like to re-blog or pin any of my original works please be the awesome person that you are and give me a shout out a.k.a. proper credit, and link it back here. Speaking of links, I do on occasion link out to other sites, however I am not responsible for the content you find on those sites. Sometimes clicking on a link I’ve provided may be a link to a site that will give me a small commission if you buy something from them. Which means that I might get paid (hopefully not in gum) if you click on that link, whoo-hoo. Reason why I’m telling you is because I want to be honest with you and frankly, because it’s illegal not to. That said, I promise to use any affiliate commissions earned for good cause: like stationery hauls and lattes. Thank you kindly, Merissa

MERISSA CHERIE All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger