Hawaiian Holiday: King Kamehameha Day

6.12.2009



June 11th was our state holiday: King Kamehameha Day. State offices and schools were closed in honor of King Kamehameha. I ventured off to visit his statue located downtown of Honolulu across from the Iolani Palace to see if he was already wearing his leis. And when I say leis, I mean 13 FEET LONG! I figured it would be a nice opportunity to find parking since the offices and businesses were closed in observance of King Kamehameha Day, but when I got there I was bummed to find that he wasn't wearing any leis yet, the annual lei draping ceremony was the following day, Friday June 12th. So, since I was there anyway, I snapped a few photos of his statue and went across the street to take a few of the front gate of Iolani Palace.

The next day (which is today June 12, 2009), I got to his statue too late and missed the annual lei draping ceremony..bummed again! The sun was quickly setting and I didn't have my flash or my tripod but managed to get some photos before it got too dark. There were several photographers still there, possibly waiting for the sun to set for a night shot. It was a sight to behold! King Kamehameha had his leis on! His leis were so beautiful! Thousands of petals and leaves adorning his statue in endless garlands strung lovingly by the hands of the lei makers. And oh I couldn't get to the foot of the statue because the perimeter around him is off limits, there was a nice "Keep off Grass" sign holding me back and I don't own a nice zoom lens yet. Hopefully next year I'll have my photographer's arsenal ready :D Oh yeah!




King Kamehameha's paparazzi

2 comments :

  1. stunning photos. you area brilliant photographer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree: Thank you! I'm still learning to use my camera and every opportunity I get to use it, I take. Practice, practice, practice :) I'm glad you like it so far :D

    ReplyDelete

So happy you paid me a visit. Mahalo!
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

Follow here

say what, a Disclaimer

Hi there! Photography and art featured on this blog, unless where noted, came from my camera and were made or styled by my hands. You may not use my photos for profit or on commercial websites, but we might be able to work something out with a dozen chocolate macarons, and a juicy deal. Do not remove my watermarks or copyright markings from my photos (please see previous sentence). I won't bite, well unless you infringe on my copyright. But really, send me an email, I'm pretty nice. The snail mail on my blog includes my mail or the work from other artists and pen friends. I do my best to give everyone credit. But, in the case where I have missed the proper credit please contact me to address it. If you would like to re-blog or pin any of my original works please be the awesome person that you are and give me a shout out a.k.a. proper credit, and link it back here. Speaking of links, I do on occasion link out to other sites, however I am not responsible for the content you find on those sites. Sometimes clicking on a link I’ve provided may be a link to a site that will give me a small commission if you buy something from them. Which means that I might get paid (hopefully not in gum) if you click on that link, whoo-hoo. Reason why I’m telling you is because I want to be honest with you and frankly, because it’s illegal not to. That said, I promise to use any affiliate commissions earned for good cause: like stationery hauls and lattes. Thank you kindly, Merissa

MERISSA CHERIE All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger