Here They Are!!!...My Black & White Portraits

5.01.2008

Isaiah
8"x10" Silver Gelatin Print
This shot was taken really late at night while everyone was asleep. Isaiah is always writing lyrics down on paper, making beats on his laptop, playing the guitar..acoustic and electric, ukulele, keyboards, whatever he can make a beat with, including vinyl records. I had lighting coming from his closet and from a tiny desk lamp that I clamped to the side of his table (that he designed himself, just for the turntables). I set up a tripod and I had to maneuver myself up in the corner of the wall where I balanced myself on a swivel chair..btw I wouldn't recommend using a swivel chair for balance, but it's all I had. Hopefully I can make more prints of the other frames I took, I kept messing up with image positioning, and time was running short, I still had to do Kalani's print.

Kalani

8"x10" Silver Gelatin Print

When I came to Kalani's negatives, I couldn't make up my mind! I had 65 to choose from! I still don't know if this is the 'one'. But I think it came out pretty cool. Here he is in his gear, he has a rope in one hand (which was for roping the bull..I don't think that one was a lasso), a caged mask, protective vest, and chaps. In the background is the rodeo ring. The area closer to Kalani is the bull pen, where they prep and keep the bull before they release him into the ring. I must've did this print a dozen times before I came out with this one. The image came out too flat. Then the sky was too light...I had to burn it. Then I had to burn his glove for several seconds with a cardboard with a hole in it...headache! My fingers and cuticles are all chemically peeling! Let's see if I can make magic happen tomorrow in the darkroom episode 2.

Keith

8"x10" Silver Gelatin Print

This one was taken at Ala Moana beach right before I had to go to work. I'm always last minute, maybe it's because I didn't want to wake up early or maybe go to work?..haha. Keith was actually my first victim for my portrait project..hehe. He was totally complaining the whole time! I should've returned him to the agency I rented him from..lol! Then the following week I flew to Kauai for Isaiah and Kalani's photos. When Keith saw how their images came out, he was more than willing to do more posing for me..geez that guy! I told him, "tough luck bruddah".

2 comments :

So happy you paid me a visit. Mahalo!
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24

Follow here

say what, a Disclaimer

Hi there! Photography and art featured on this blog, unless where noted, came from my camera and were made or styled by my hands. You may not use my photos for profit or on commercial websites, but we might be able to work something out with a dozen chocolate macarons, and a juicy deal. Do not remove my watermarks or copyright markings from my photos (please see previous sentence). I won't bite, well unless you infringe on my copyright. But really, send me an email, I'm pretty nice. The snail mail on my blog includes my mail or the work from other artists and pen friends. I do my best to give everyone credit. But, in the case where I have missed the proper credit please contact me to address it. If you would like to re-blog or pin any of my original works please be the awesome person that you are and give me a shout out a.k.a. proper credit, and link it back here. Speaking of links, I do on occasion link out to other sites, however I am not responsible for the content you find on those sites. Sometimes clicking on a link I’ve provided may be a link to a site that will give me a small commission if you buy something from them. Which means that I might get paid (hopefully not in gum) if you click on that link, whoo-hoo. Reason why I’m telling you is because I want to be honest with you and frankly, because it’s illegal not to. That said, I promise to use any affiliate commissions earned for good cause: like stationery hauls and lattes. Thank you kindly, Merissa

MERISSA CHERIE All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger